COVID-19 JOB SEEKER PAYMENT
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) JobKeeper Payment for employers and employees and other additional support measures
The economic impacts of the coronavirus have provided significant challenges for businesses and their employees over from this unprecedented health and economic event.
The Government will provide $1,500 per fortnight per employee, before tax, for up to 6 months.
· business turnover is less than $1 billion, and turnover has reduced by more than 30% relative to a comparable period a year ago (of at least 1 month)
· business turnover is over $1 billion and turnover has reduced by more than 50%
relative to a comparable period a year ago (of at least 1 month)
· the employer must have been in an employment relationship with the employees as of
1 March 2020, and confirm that each employee is currently engaged
· self-employed individuals will also be eligible as will not-for-profit entities
Employers must ELECT to participate in the scheme. You will need to make an application to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and provide supporting documentation to demonstrate the downturn in your business.
At present you can register your interest in the scheme on the ATO website at: www.ato.gov.au/general/gen/JobKeeper-payment
· employees are currently employed by the eligible employer, including those stood down or re-hired
· they were employed by the employer at 1 March 2020
· they are full-time, part-time or long-term casuals (a casual employee employed on regular basis for over 12 months)
· are at least 16 years of age
· are Austalian citizen, permanent visa, Protected Special Category Visa holder, a non-protected Special Category visa holder who has continually resided in Australia for 10 years or more, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) Visa holder
· employees cannot be in receipt of a Jobkeeper Payment from another employer, this means if you have 2 jobs you can only receive this payment once
· Eligible employers will get $1,500 per fortnight for eligible employees. They will pay all eligible employees $1,500 minimum per fortnight before tax.
· Employers are able to top up this payment if they have the means to do so.
· An eligible employee will need to be paid the full $1,500 per fortnight before tax even if their ordinary wage is below this amount